Vanilla Caramel Budino
8 Egg Yolks
9 Tablespoons Cornstarch
1/4 Cup Heavy Cream
1/4 Cup Whole Milk
1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
1 1/2 Cups Packed Brown Sugar
3 Cups Heavy Cream
3 Cups Whole Milk
2 Teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
2 Sticks Unsalted Butter
1 1/2 Cups Granulated Sugar
- In a mixing bowl combine: egg yolks, cornstarch, first measurements of heavy cream, milk and salt.
- In a heavy bottomed pot bring brown sugar, remaining cream, milk and vanilla just to a boil.
- In a separate pot heat granulated sugar, until it is a deep amber colour, remove from heat immediately. Slowly pour hot cream mixture into cooked sugar, stir over heat until combined and smooth.
- Carefully ladle hot caramel sauce slowly into egg mixture, whisking constantly. Keep adding until about half of the caramel has been added, then slowly add the tempered egg mixture back into the caramel. Cook over medium heat until thickened.
- Remove from heat and add butter. Whisk until smooth. Allow mixture to cool to room temperature, stirring frequently and gently to allow steam to escape.
- Mixture may now be poured into serving containers, or left in bowl. Cover with plastic wrap. Make sure plastic wrap is touching the surface of the custard to avoid a skin from forming. Chill for 6-8 hours until set.
Salted Caramel Sauce
3/4 Cups Whole Milk, Divided
1/2 Vanilla Bean, Split Lengthwise
1/2 Cup Sugar
2 Tablespoons Light Corn Syrup
4 Tablespoons Unsalted butter, cut into cubes
1/4 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- Place cream in a small pitcher. Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean, add bean. Set aside.
- Stir sugar, corn syrup, and 2 tablespoons of water in a heavy saucepan over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Increase heat to medium high, and boil, occasionally swirling pan (do not stir) until a deep amber colour forms, 5-6 minutes.
- Remove from heat and gradually add vanilla cream (mixture will bubble vigorously). Whisk over medium heat until smooth and thick, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in butter and salt. Strain into a heatproof bowl and let cool slightly.
To server, spoon Budino into serving dishes, drizzle salted caramel over each. If you wish you can top with whipped cream and crushed Amaretti biscuits or biscotti, and of course more salted caramel.