¼ cup (50 mL) butter
3 cups (750 mL) chopped onion
6 cups (1.5 L) chopped pumpkin
2 cups (500 mL) peeled and chopped Spy apples
1 tsp (5 mL) brown sugar
Pinch ground cinnamon
Pinch ground allspice
Tiny pinch cayenne
1 tsp (5 mL) salt
5 cups (1.25 L) chicken broth
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tbsp (25 mL) pecans (candied with hone and maple syrup)
1. In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the pumpkin and apples and cook until softened, another 3 minutes. Add the brown sugar and spices, then pour the stock over and simmer for 30 minutes.
2. Remove from heat, blend until smooth with a hand blender or in a food processor. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. For candied pecans. Place pecans in a cast iron or non-stick pan. add honey and stir over medium-high heat, until glazed. place on parchment paper to cool.
4. Using a mandolin slicer very thinly slice apples. Arrange slices in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet; sprinkle with icing sugar. Top with another sheet of parchment and another baking sheet. Dry in a 225ºF (110ºC) oven for 45 minutes. Remove top baking sheet and top layer of parchment; continue drying in the oven for at least another 45 minutes, until crisp. The more moist the fruit the longer it will take to dry. Let cool completely; store in an airtight container.
5. To serve, Place pecans in the serving bowls, ladle in soup and float and apple crisp on the surface. Crème fraiche can be warmed and drizzled on top.
Serves 6 to 8