Spiced Chocolate Soup with Caramel Whipped Cream
Makes 4 servings
- 8 Tbsps. granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 7 oz. semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 Tbsp. Sichuan peppercorns, crushed
- Warm a small saucepan over medium-low heat; add 5 Tbsps. sugar to the pan, a little at a time, adding more as the sugar melts; when caramel has turned a deep golden brown, add butter, a pinch of salt and 1 cup heavy cream; bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the caramel; remove from heat; reserve in refrigerator for at least 6 hours.
- Put cooled caramel cream into the bowl of a mixer fitted with the whisk attachment; whip until medium peaks form; reserve in refrigerator.
- Place the chocolate in a medium bowl; bring milk, remaining 1/2 cup heavy cream, and remaining 3 Tbsps. sugar to a boil in a medium saucepan; add peppercorns; remove from heat; cover to infuse for 15 minutes; strain liquid through a fine-mesh sieve into a saucepan; bring to a boil; pour over the chocolate; stir until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth; strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a bowl.
- To serve: ladle soup into warm soup bowls; top with a dollop of the caramel whipped cream.